Volunteering with JFS
You can find more information about these volunteer opportunities by clicking the links and looking below.
Family Mentor Program
Male and female volunteers are needed to be matched with families or seniors requesting in home support and intervention. Volunteers are provided with orientation, training and ongoing supervision by JFS social work staff.
Training sessions are 3 hours long and are scheduled over 3 consecutive weeks. Both daytime and evening trainings are offered at various times throughout the year. Contact Jeanne Lankin, LCSW (extension 117) or Ruth Edelman (extension 109) for more information or call 908.725.7799.
Senior Friendly Home Visitor Program
- Visit home-bound older persons in their place of residence: home, assisted living, or nursing home
- Represent your caring spirit to the community
- Visit individually, with friends, or as a family
- Give as little or as much time as you can
- An opportunity for learning creative, meaningful ways of interacting with older persons through training and ongoing group and individual support and supervision
For more information, including dates for orientation and training, please contact Jeanne Lankin, LCSW at 908.725.7799, extension 117.
Ohr Tikvah, Light of Hope Program is seeking volunteers to help Community Chaplain, Dr. Emilie Coopersmith with the following one time only or one time per month activities:
- Assist with shopping for Passover Model Seders at Assisted Living facilities in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties
- Assist with Passover Seder's by greeting seniors, passing out Haggadot, participating in leading the Seder (no Hebrew required)
- Assist with once monthly Shabbat services, usually on Friday early afternoon at Assisted Living facilities in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties
- Youth who would like to participate in leading Shabbat Services are always welcome, as well as adult volunteers of any age
- Transportation from JFS in Somerville can be provided for the volunteer
We also need volunteers to help with…:
- Picking up and dropping off Bimah Baskets in the Somerset, Hunterdon, and Warren county areas. Mileage reimbursement available.
- Taking pictures at agency events and programs
- Assisting in event planning
- Presenting to the Job Seekers Support Group
- Presenting to Café Europa
If you would like to discuss these or other volunteer opportunities, please contact JFS at 908.725.7799 or visit Volunteer Match.